Now Hiring: Research Assistant
The Oral History Centre is seeking a work-study student to conduct preliminary research pertaining to existing oral history collections held in Manitoba Museums and Archives, and other oral history collections in Canadian repositories related to the History of Manitoba.
The student will first identify any existing surveys of archival oral history media, along with resultant publications, in order to create a one-page summary of findings and annotated bibliography.
The student will then design a spreadsheet that will track all repositories in Manitoba that may hold audiovisual materials that can be considered oral history; whether or not information about the holdings are currently documented in a searchable catalogue or past oral history/archival media survey; and the current contact information for each repository.
Must have the ability to perform online research using the University Winnipeg Library databases and other online resources, and the ability to summarize findings in the form of an annotated bibliography. The ability to work independently, excellent communication skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel are assets.
Must be in at least the 3rd year of a BA Program. Preference will be given to students who have developed research skills in the fields of oral history, archival studies, history, or media studies, with an interest in analogue and digital media.
Students must be approved for the 2023-24 Work-Study program in order to be hired for this position. The Work-Study Student Application form is available online here:
Those who have been approved for the 2023-24 Work-Study program can apply by email directly to:
Kimberley Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: NOVEMBER 15, 2023.
Assistant Technician 2
$18.00 per hour + 6% vacation pay
56 hours total to be completed by March 31, 2024.
This position permits flexible work hours and can be done remotely with weekly in-person meetings.
Condition(s) of Employment:
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Students must be approved for the 2023-24 Work-Study program. Students may be eligible for the Work-Study Program if they meet all of the following criteria:
- Currently registered in an undergraduate or graduate program at The University of Winnipeg (PACE and ELP students are currently ineligible).
- Enrolled full-time (i.e., at least 18 credit hours or 12 credit hours if registered with Accessibility Services) for the current Fall/Winter session.
- Completed 24 credit hours at an undergraduate level at The University of Winnipeg (or equivalent);
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0.
- Have demonstrated financial need (shortage between your expenses and resources).
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, protected person or an international student with a valid study permit.
Enquiries about the position may be addressed to Kimberley Moore.